Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014

[Abandoned book of the month] Fifty Shades Freed - E. L. James

WARNING! This review contains spoilers!


I hope that this won't become a pattern, abandoning one book a month.
But it happened again and I can't even say that I'm surprised that it's this book that I won't finish. I already didn't like the first book in the trilogy, 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. I hoped that I would like this one but I couldn't bear even finishing it.

It was Ana who made me really angry again and that unhealthy, almost sick relationship that the two have. And by that I don't mean the sex but the realtionship as a whole. To make my point clear I will quote two sentences.



'I want to shout at him, but I refrain - I don't want to push him too far. Heaven knows what he'd do.' (p. 43)

For the background: they were fighting in that scene, Ana was mad at him for a thing that he did.

Let's think about that. Ana doesn't want to say what she is thinking because she is scared. Of him hurting her? Just for the record, those two married, that scene took place during their honeymoon. And already she is afraid that he might hurt her? And even if that's not what she feared, she doesn't trust him enough to stand up for herself.

I can't even say how mad this has made me, considering that young girls read that and find a man with character traits like that attractive because E. L. James tells them that he is a man who is worth being loved.
I was so angry because of Ana's stupidity, that she allows him to suppress her.
It was quite clear to me that she didn't like how he treated her sometimes, but still she agreed to marry him? Even though she knew what he was like.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't accept your partner's flaws. But being unpredictable and ignoring your partner's needs and opinions is not a flaw! That is an absolutely dangerous and unhealthy relationship.

I can't even stand having these books in my shelf anymore, so I'm going to sell (or burn) them and forget about the totally wrong message that it conveys.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen