Freitag, 8. November 2013

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I have to admit that I already finished reading this book on Tuesday, but I just couldn't find the time to write about my opinion on it.

I read the classic without really knowing what it is about, I only knew that it tells the reader about a man named Gatsby.
That's why I was quite surprised when I slowly discovered the story. It has quite a lot of characteristics of a tragic love story but it feels somehow more deep.
I don't really know how to explain it, but what fascinated me the most was the atmosphere that differed strongly from what I've read before.

The story is told by a man called Nick Carraway who doesn't show much of himself because he is very interested in other people, especially in Jay Gatsby, his neighbour.
Gatsby celebrates lots of flittering parties in his house but doesn't seem to enjoy himself much.
The character of Gatsby is very nontransparent and hard to understand which kept me reading because I wanted to know about his secrets.

The ending was quite surprising but the style made it feel as if it was something natural. Fitzgerald's book is with no doubt a very very good book reffering to both the plot and the writing style.

"The Great Gatsby" really is worth being read and I definitely will have to read it again to fully understand the meaning which is rather hard to grasp.
Hopefully I can resist looking at some interpretations on the internet.

Rating:



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen