Samstag, 13. Juni 2015

[Read along] A Dance with Dragons - George R. R. Martin


The fifth book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series is a challenge with its 1117 pages. As it will take me a while to finish it and I usually have a lot of feelings to share when I read a book in this series, I decided to start a 'Read along' again!

I don't plan on updating regularly but when I have something to share. For all those who haven't read as far as the fifth book, I will try to keep this spoiler-free.
So, who wants to join the ride?



Page 365 (13 June)

I'm really hooked again, the story is not as slow-going as I expected from reading other reviews. My favourite characters Tyrion and Daenerys play a role again in this book and I'm especially flying through Tyrion's chapters but also those of Theon Greyjoy. 
But I'm starting to seriously dislike Stannis Baratheon and I feel like he has been in this story long enough at this point. The Red Woman is also nothing but annoying by now and I'm more than ready for some more deaths on their side. 
I am really excited to see how the story is going to evolve especially for my favourites and also the other ones who we have followed in 'A Feast for Crows' and who will come back later on (especially Cersei!)

Page 611 (16 June)

I just love reading this book. Not because it’s very, very exciting, but because I’m intrigued again by the atmosphere Martin creates and just following all the characters that I love makes me never want to stop.
But I’m really looking forward to the story picking up again as I’m sure it will do. I can feel the storylines steering towards a climax and I. just. want. to. keep. on. reading!
I still enjoy Tyrion’s chapters, but not as much as I once did which is kind of sad. In contrast to that I really like the chapters following Davos Seaworth although I could never get myself to enjoying them in the preceding books.
When the other characters come back into the story I really hope that Cersei will have chapters as I’m somehow missing her character.
(After writing this I flicked through the pages in the back of the book and there will be Cersei chapters – or at least one – Yaay! Now I will definitely have to read faster!)

But right now I just want to kick myself in the butt bebause I have spoiled myself! I was reading in a forum where people discussed when the next book will come out and there someone wrote about a character that presumably dies in this book I'm currently reading.
It's totally my own fault and I just really wish I could forget because whenever this person has a chapter I will think 'Will it happen this time?'.  
At least the way the character dies will be a surprise to me...

Page 966 (20 June)

I'm nearing the end and I really like that quite a few scattered characters are meeting again. But I have to say that I find it a pity that at this point there are so many characters that I haven't seen some of them for some 200 pages or more. Some haven't even made an appearance yet (I miss Jaime the most of all...).
But I'm really excited for the ending (and I'm still waiting for the event that I spoiled for myself as it has not happened yet) and I hope that I will be able to finish it tomorrow.

Page 1117 - The End (21 June)

So this is it - I have read the Song of Ice and Fire series as far as possible and I can't believe that I will have to wait for the next book to come out (which will probably be in three years at the earliest in my opinion).
The last 30 pages have been really exciting, the best of the whole book if you ask me. It leaves me with really high hopes for 'The Winds of Winter' to become a real pageturner and it vexes me that George R. R. Martin doesn't give the slightest hint as to how far along he is with the book. I can imagine that it is annoying when everyone asks when the book will be finished but not knowing anything gives us readers even more reason to ask.
If we would know that he is halfway finished for example, we would be able to prepare for another 4 years of waiting.
But, as it is now, we will just have to be patient.

However, 'A Dance with Dragons' is my second favourite out of this series after 'A Storm of Swords' so I highly recommend to read the whole series if you liked the first book or also just the TV series.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Schöne Rezension und cool das du auch auf englisch schreibst :)

    xoxo, Lena von www.truelovexoxo.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Halli hallo,

      vieln Dank dafür... ich dachte, das ist eigentlich ganz logisch, wenn ich englische Bücher lese, dass ich sie dann auch auf Englisch rezensiere und die Abwechslung gefällt mir immer noch ganz gut :)

      LG Anni

      Löschen